Taking best possible care of yourself should be your number one priority. As with many illnesses, there are modifiable and unmodifiable factors which make us susceptible to chronic diseases. Let’s do our best at changing the modifiable factors to reduce our overall risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and many cancers.
Start by following these simple steps regularly and in no time these will become part of your daily life.
Make it a habit to drink about 2L (about 8 cups) of water every day. It helps to flush out toxins and will keep you hydrated and refreshed throughout the day. Even better, start your morning with freshly squeezed lemon water. Not only is it refreshing, but it will also assist with liver detoxification and activate your digestive system.
Eat Healthy to Stay Healthy
Making smarter food choices will help prolong the quality of your life and significantly reduce your risk factors for heart disease, stroke, cancer, and other serious illnesses. Some tips for healthy eating include:
- Avoiding refined and processed foods
- Consuming whole foods – as found in nature
- Planning your meals – plan what you will be eating for the week on Sunday. This prevents you from eating out too often and making unhealthy choices during the week
- Consume 6 small meals throughout the day – this will help regulate your blood sugar levels
- Keep healthy snacks in your bag – such as a handful of mixed nuts and seeds, vegetables with hummus dip, yogurt, etc
- Switch to teas – if you are a caffeine person, try switching to teas. There are lots of herbal teas and you can choose which one suits your mood. Switch it up daily and have fun with it.
- Go for fats! – incorporate healthy fats into your diet. Examples include consuming 1 tbsp raw olive oil, flax seeds, avocados, nuts and seeds (walnuts, brazil nut, flax, hemp seeds, sunflower, pumpkin seeds), fish/fish oil
Our Naturopathic Doctors and Registered Holistic Nutritionist can help you further in making the right food choices.
Incorporate regular physical activity in your day. It can be walking, swimming, dancing, biking, running, anything you like. Start with at least 30 minutes a day of moderate activity on most days of the week and notice the benefits. Not only will exercise help to enhance your metabolism but it will also help to boost your mood and improve the quality of your sleep.
“Me Time” – to Recharge, Reset, and Just be
We often give priority to other people in our lives and get preoccupied with the tasks we have to complete in a day that we often forget about ourselves. That is where “Me Time” comes in – do something for yourself today or treat yourself. Incorporating “me time” is reenergizing and essential for your growth as a human being. “Me time” can take any form – it can involve reading, meditation, journaling, taking a bubble bath, anything you want it to be. Having that time for yourself sends a signal to the brain that you love and care for yourself.
It is important to get about 7-8 hours of sleep every night. “Sleeping Well” will improve your immune function, memory, and it will also help with weight management. If you are struggling to fall asleep, then read our previous blogs to assist you with better nights rest.
Smoking significantly increases your risk for major diseases – such as heart and lung disease, stroke, and cancer. The Natural Health Clinic of Halton has a “Smoking Cessation” program which will make it easier for you to quit and stay quit.
Relax and Enjoy the Journey of Life
Life can be stressful, however with the right stress coping strategies, you will find stress much more manageable.
Identify sources of negative stress in your life and determine what positive strategies you can use to tackle or reduce it.
Work with one of our naturopathic doctors to discuss if the “HEALTHY MIND” program would be a good fit for you if you are struggling with day to day stressors that are causing you anxiety, irritability, sadness, lack of sleep etc.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Spogmai Hakimi